Sunday, September 4, 2011

Paleo "Porridge" Recipe

My older boy loves Grimm's fairy tales, and he is especially fond of a little tale called Sweet Porridge.  I've always told him that porridge is kind of like oatmeal and then one day I decided to find out what it really is.

According to The Free Dictionary, porridge is:  A soft food made by boiling oatmeal or another meal in water or milk.

OK, so I was right :)

We used to eat oatmeal round here and I would still make it once in a while for Noah, but I wondered if I could find a grain-free substitute to keep our insulin levels in check and to avoid the ill effects of grain consumption.  I headed over to one of my favorite foodie bloggers, Elana's Pantry (We just tried her paleo bread recipe and we're hooked!) and found a real winner.  This one's packed with healthy fats, protein, and loads of vitamins and minerals, plus it tastes fantastic!  I top mine with a little stevia and a few raisins while Noah likes maple syrup in his.  Oatmeal can no longer compete in our house!

Here's the recipe folks (I have been making ours sans pumpkin seeds and subbing the walnuts for almonds).
(Original recipe by Andrea Nakayama).

Gluten Free Porridge

printer friendly
  1. Combine all ingredients in the dry container of a Vitamix or food processor.
  2. Blend until finely ground (you can try a coffee grinder, I have not, so not sure if it works)
  3. Transfer mixture to a bowl
  4. Pour hot water over mixture, stir, then let sit for 5 minutes to thicken
  5. Garnish with raisins, sunflower seeds or treats of your choice
  6. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment